Friday, January 6, 2012

Methods -- Diet


I know there are lots of ways to do this: low-fat, low-calorie, low-carb, high-protein, etc. I don't think it can be disputed that calories are the most effective way of measuring food intake. I'll get into specifics of what those calories should be made up of (for me) below.

In the past, when attempting to cut calories, I've aimed for 1600-1800 calories a day. Since I tend to stray a little here and there, and 1600 always turns into 1800, I'm going to say 1600 is the ceiling. And we'll take that "extra" 200 calories per day and bank them for special occasions (kind of like how Weight Watchers gives you the extra points for wine and chocolate, or whatever your particular vices are).

According to the American Cancer Society's Web site, a "moderately active" 192-lb woman would need 3229 calories per day to maintain her weight (I believe this is called the basal metabolic rate (BMR). Another Web site gets more specific with age and height,  and tells me that I burn 2487 per day. Another still, says I get 2385. (By the way--these kinds of discrepancies could be diet killers. 800 extra calories a day could mean an extra pound and a half a week!)

Assuming the truth is closer to 2385, cutting out 785 calories per day translates into nearly 5500 calories per week. Since it takes 3500 fewer calories consumed to equal one pound of weight loss, we're looking at an average of 1.5 calories per week. A totally respectable rate of loss.

According to the American Cancer Society Web site, though, I'm probably considered more than "moderately active." I walk every day, not just 3-5 days a week, which is their definition of "moderate." In any event, I'll be doing more exercise, which can only mean more weight loss and general fitness.

In the past, my "diet" fare has generally been frozen, pre-portioned meals. I like the convenience of food that you can just grab and go with. But I have a few complaints/concerns with these. For starters, they're not that "healthy." White flour, sugar, etc. Second, they're not fresh. And third, you can actually eat so much more, for fewer calories, if you put your own meals together. Personally, I'd rather have double the vegetables and half the starch. I just like to eat a LOT of food.

So, when possible, I'll  make my own food. The past few days have had a lot of spaghetti squash (50 calories a cup!) and brown rice, tofu and vegetable concoctions. But I'll have to get a little more creative to keep myself interested for the long haul.

Another of my weaknesses is, I don't like to eat breakfast. Never really cared for it. But for the past few weeks, I've been eating breakfast casseroles. I made one last night that clocks in at less than 300 calories for a big serving, and since you make 8 servings at a time, you've got breakfast for the week. According to the New York Times article I posted earlier, one of the characteristics of people who successfully kept their weight off for more than a year, was that they ate breakfast. And I shall, too.

So, really, that's about it. 1600 calories. Mostly homemade, fresh food. Breakfast. Avoiding white flour and sugar (for the most part).

No comments:

Post a Comment