Saturday, January 7, 2012

Vegetarian chili



Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I made two things tonight. One was a reasonably caloried french toast casserole.  That's in the fridge and will be baking tomorrow morning. Yum!

The other was a sort of improvised vegetarian chili. I wanted something I could freeze and take to work during the week. This clocks in at 250 calories, including the cheese. It's basically canned tomatoes, tofu, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, green peppers, red peppers, onions, zucchini and one can each of chick peas and kidney beans. I used the small cans of beans. I wanted this to be more about vegetables (fewer calories) and less about the beans. It's actually delicious. It came to 189 calories before the cheese, so I added half an ounce of low-fat cheddar, and it's actually 234 calories, but we'll call it 250 just to be safe.
I froze this and another low-cal breakfast casserole in individual portions. I'll do the same with the french toast bake. It's nice to have a freezer full of ready-to-go stuff that's healthy. I usually use Smart Ones or Lean Cuisines to help me with portion control, but I like making my own good and knowing what's in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment