Thursday, January 26, 2012

Speaking too soon

I was happy last time about breaking through the plateau, but then overnight I gained back two pounds and there the scale stayed for the past 3 days. I know there are all sorts of variables--water weight, muscle gain, etc. And I know some people would advise not to weigh every day. I personally am a fan of doing it, and apparently weighing in "at least once a week" is one of the things successful losers do. 

In the past few days I've been really trying hard to drink enough water (at least 64 oz. per day). For the past two days, I've had fruit for breakfast. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but today the scale was back down to 185 (9 pounds lost). Even if that's all I did for the entire month, that's still pretty good. I feel like I have a few more pounds that could come off, but time will tell. I would have liked to have lost 15, since the first month is usually the easiest, but this is fine, too. 

I think it's important to use the scale as the tool it's meant to be, but not to get too hung up on the number. I'm wearing pants I haven't worn in months, so that's a good sign. A coworker said I looked like I was slimming down, so that's nice, too. 
Last night, I met a friend for dinner after work, and went to the gym after. I'm really weird with the calories. If I go to the gym or run first thing in the morning (extremely rare--you have a better chance of seeing a unicorn), before I've had anything to eat, I'm fine. If I go to the gym on an empty stomach after work, I'm weak and dizzy and can't do much. Usually I try to have between 200 and 300 calories about an hour before I leave work, and then everything is fine. But last night, I had about 600 calories for dinner, and went to the gym. I walked on the treadmill, but I was essentially phoning it in (no real speed, no intervals, no incline). I did the arms, but I did what I consider to be the bare minimum (5 machines, 3 sets each). I used as much weight as I could handle, but I'm pretty sure it was less than previous times. Tonight is legs, so we'll see if I can rock it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment