Saturday, January 14, 2012

Quiche and calzones

As I mentioned in the previous post, I made two things tonight. I just really like being able to grab something and take it with me to work. And so far this year, with very few exceptions, that "something" has been something I made myself. This hasn't always been the case. I used to rely on frozen meals (Smart Ones, Lean Cuisines, you get the picture), but frankly, even when they're cheap, they're expensive; they're not really healthy; and you don't get very much.

Personally, when I eat, I like to eat something substantial. A large portion of something. I know you can't have a large portion of pasta if you're watching the calories, so I tend to go nuts with vegetables and fill in the blanks with protein (cheese, eggs, tofu), sauces and seasonings.



Today I made two things, both from Three Fat Chicks on a Diet, which I'm just starting to love. The first one is Three Cheese Tortilla Calzones. According to the recipe, these should come in at 130 calories, but I was unable to find the fat-free wheat tortillas, or the fat-free ricotta. And frankly, even if I did manage to make them 130 calories each, I'd eat two at a time anyway. My modifications also included making some with Morningstar veggie sausage, and adding more cheese (who doesn't love more cheese?) Mine come to 250 calories each for  the non-sausage variety, and 275 for those with sausage. They're pictured here, all bundled up with the calorie info marked on them, so I don't forget later when there are many different things in the freezer.

These don't taste like calzones, so don't get your hopes up. They taste like a flour tortilla stuffed with calzone filling. But to me, any vehicle that delivers cheese to your mouth is a frickin' Cadillac.


The other thing I made was a Crustless Mushroom Quiche. I made a double portion and I thought I had more egg whites than I did, so I subbed in 4 whole eggs for 6 of the egg whites. I also wanted this to be more than 111 calories per serving, since I intend to eat it for breakfast and need it to have some more substance. So whereas theirs serves 6, mine will serve 4. Between that and the whole eggs, the calorie count is now 220 calories per serving. Paired with a piece of fruit, this will be a perfect breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment