Thursday, January 19, 2012

Setbacks and motivation

So this weekend there were a lot of distractions. Family in town, a funeral, things I wasn't really prepared for (from a keeping healthy perspective). There was an abundance of food that wasn't good for me. Pasta in all kinds of sauces, cakes, cookies, salads covered in oil.

Earlier in the weekend, I had a glimmer of clarity where I thought, "Self, you should pack some food to bring with you." But I didn't really plan ahead well enough, and I didn't want to be "that" person. At least not during a time like that.

So for two straight days, I ate crap. And on Monday, we went to a restaurant (we had a Groupon for it), for which I had memorized the menu and made a great choice (grilled salmon over a salad). When we got there, the menu had changed entirely to bar food and BBQ. I don't eat meat, just seafood, so the only two options were fish and chips and a fried shrimp platter. I made what I consider the best choice on the menu: the fried shrimp platter, with a side of corn and a side salad. Even still, when I asked my boyfriend to guess how many calories he thought were in the shrimp, he said, "Probably a thousand."

During all this time, I didn't skip the gym, and I walked a minimum of 13,000 steps per day, and for the past two days, I've had 8 and 10 cups of water, but today the scale says 191. That's still down a total of 3 for the month, but it's also up 4 from where I was at. And this is usually the point where I give up.

I have to face that I have a very unforgiving metabolism. One weekend can set everything back, by a lot. So, I'm going to continue back on the path I was on and chalk it up to a learning experience. I'm going to aim for being back to 187 by next Monday. I know that sounds like a lot, but I have a feeling that some of this weight is temporary, due to eating a lot of sodium and garbage that will be flushed out with a few days of eating right.

No comments:

Post a Comment